ATC Rosehill Racecourse Vision and Master Plan
Australian Turf Club (ATC)
Architectus was engaged by Australian Turf Club (ATC) as an independent urban design consultant to make a submission in response to the Draft Camellia Town Centre Master Plan prepared by the NSW Department of Planning and Environment. Part of the ATC landholdings, including the northern end of the Rosehill Gardens Racecourse site, is contained within the Camellia Town Centre Draft Master Plan boundary. The ATC own and operate the Rosehill Gardens Racecourse, an internationally recognised racecourse which hosts major events throughout the year. The site has a significant role within the Parramatta LGA as a key entertainment precinct attracting visitors and residents from all over Greater Sydney.
The submission prepared by Architectus responded to both the potential implications on the operation and role of the racecourse as well as opportunities to contribute to the town centre, precinct and greater Parramatta. The racecourse function will continue to operate as it does at present.
Architectus proposed amendments to improve the Draft Master Plan as it relates to the broader area, particularly in the way it relates with the Racecourse and surrounding ATC land. The amendments proposed by Architectus were envisaged to have the following public benefits, and have been well received by the NSW Department of Planning and Environment for inclusion in the Draft Master Plan:
- Improved pedestrian access to the Racecourse to address the Governments’ announcement to close the T6 Carlingford heavy rail line and Rosehill Station;
- provide a unique opportunity to integrate the Racecourse as a key feature of the Town Centre;
- better pedestrian connections to public transport;
- improved relationship between the proposed Town Centre and Rosehill Entertainment Precinct;
- more functional street layout; and
- opportunity for additional non-residential uses on the ATC land holdings, through more flexible development lots, including potential hotel and student housing sites.